The Mag I Bought This Week Award goes to …
Weekly magazines dread public holidays. Sales plummet without the usual Monday morning commuter rush. Meanwhile, staff slump into the office to work on next week’s issue while everyone else heads to the beach. No rest for the wicked.
Editors are torn, do they “waste” a good cover on a “short week” or do they pull a rabbit out of the hat in the hope they can overcome the holiday sales malaise?
So which magazine handled the holiday dilemma best? Click over to Village Voices for my verdict …
Drew Barrymore is a mum!
People magazine reports: “The actress and Will Kopelman welcomed their first child – a daughter — on Wednesday.”
The couple’s official press release reads: “We are proud to announce the birth of our daughter, Olive Barrymore Kopelman, born Sept. 26th, healthy, happy and welcomed by the whole family. Thank you for respecting our privacy during this most special time in our lives.”
The Daily Mail is speculating that “Drew may have found inspiration from a former role when naming her little girl … Back in 1999, the California native loaned her vocals to the title role in a CGI animated Christmas television special called Olive, The Other Reindeer.”
It also notes that “Fellow celebrities to name their child Olive include Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher, and former Doctor Who actor David Tennant and wife Georgia Moffett.”
Tom Cruise bends the Scientology rules
Nancy Many, former Scientologist and ex-president of the Celebrity Centre, has told RadarOnline that Tom Cruise is getting special treatment by the church following his divorce.
“They have already bent the rules for Tom,” the former president of the celebrity center, Nancy Many, told RadarOnline.com in an exclusive interview. “If Tom was any other Scientologist, including lesser celebrities, he would not be allowed to continue seeing and maintaining communication with Katie or Suri, because they are no longer in Scientology.”
“So far, because of who he is, Cruise has spent time with Suri, which has already upset the parents and children of existing Scientologists who can’t talk to their loved ones. If he is supposed to be a Scientologist, why don’t the rules for every other member apply to him?” she asked.
“When every other person that I have known of leaves Scientology, which Katie did without speaking of it directly, they are instantly shunned,” explained Many. “By rejoining a Catholic Church right afterwards, she made a very public statement of rejection.”
Within hours of leaving the controversial religion, former members are un-friended on Facebook and in all aspects of their lives – that includes by their children, parents, friends, and everyone they know, said the former celebrity president.
Charges dropped against LiLo’s attacker (surprise!)
I’m just going with Dlisted’s version of this sorry mess: “A 25-year-old California dude named Christian LaBella was put into handcuffs last night after he allegedly attacked Lindsay Lohan in her hotel room at the W Hotel in Manhattan early this morning. Now this is truly some Charlie Sheen shit.
“LiLo met the dude at 1 Oak last night and brought him back to her room at the W in Gramercy to party with her and her friends. LiLo probably thought that they’d have a few laughs, she’d snort a few lines off of his peen and everything would just be coke-colored rainbows. But shit got serious after she accused him of taking pictures of her with his phone. WNBC New York says that after LiLo grabbed Christian’s phone away, he threw her on the bed, which scratched up her hands. LiLo ran out of the room and started running down the stairs, but for some reason she turned around and went back to her room. When LiLo got back to her room, she told police that Christian choked her, threw her to the floor and got on top of her. One of LiLo’s friends was able to pull Christian off and then the friend pulled the hotel fire alarm. Christian tried to run out of the hotel, but the police caught him in the lobby and arrested his ass.
“UPDATE: NBC New York says that Christian LaBella has been released and the NYPD dropped all charges after investigating this shit. Christian, who works for Republican congressman John Shimkus of Illinois, has also filed a harassment complaint against LiLo. The moral of the story is, when you want to do a line of the bad shit with some dude you met at club, just do it in the safety of a stall in the club bathroom. That’s why they have toilet seats! And I’m going to need something seriously mind-altering to deal with the f@#kery that’s going to spill out of White Oprah’s mouth about this mess.”
Paris Hilton’s boyfriend arrested
In other distasteful celebrity news, this time from TMZ …
“Paris Hilton MADE OUT WITH ANOTHER GIRL at a nightclub in Vegas early Monday morning … and moments later, her new boyfriend was arrested for battery … at least that’s what the alleged victim is telling police.
“TMZ has learned … a male clubgoer filed a report with the Las Vegas Metro Police Dept. claiming his girlfriend was “making out” with Paris inside XS nightclub at the Encore hotel … when Paris’ new BF River Viiperi got upset over the hot girl-on-girl action.
“The alleged victim claims Viiperi — a 21-year-old male model — punched him in the face sometime around 2:30 AM … and injured him so badly, he needed medical attention.
“The victim told hotel security he wanted to press charges against River … and when cops arrived to the scene, Viiperi was arrested for misdemeanor battery. He was cited and released without ever going to the police station. “
I really don’t understand why Lindsay and Paris aren’t friends any more. They seem to have so much in common.
Hot pics & clicks
* Nick and Vanessa Lachley‘s new bub is gorgeous! It’s made me go all clucky … well, almost. The couple shared this photo of the two-week-old, Camden John Lachey, on Twitter on Monday. It was captioned: “Nick and I are honored and humbled to introduce you to the new love of our lives.”
* Anne Hathaway tied the knot with longtime love Adam Shulman on Saturday night in scenic Big Sur on the California coast. The bride wore Valentino. See a fuzzy pic of the happy couple kissing here.
* True Blood’s Stephen Moyer looks yummy in the surf.
* I’m loving this quote from Taylor Swift about her life in the new Glamour magazine: ”I think some people think it’s just apple pie and sunshine and sprinkles and ponies. Which is just funny. But I never feel the need to go out and make some grand statement that I’m dark and twisty and complicated, because I’m not that either. It’s just not as simple as ponies and rainbows, though I do love ponies and rainbows.”
* Imagine having Elton John as your wedding singer – that’s what happened when Hollywood honcho Jeffrey Katzenberg‘s daughter Laura Katzenberg married record producer Mark Sudack in Los Angeles last weekend. It was Elton’s second wedding gig in as many days, he also pounded the keys when Aussie actress Holly Valance tied the knot with UK billionaire Nick Candy at the Paramount lot (see her romantic wedding pics by clicking here).
* Has Paris Jackson had a Miley crop? She posted this pic on Twitter, but there’s speculation it’s just a wig. Meanwhile, I’m speculating that’s too much make-up on a 14-year-old.
* The stars of The Waltons hosted a reunion for fans of the show in Los Angeles over the weekend. See what the stars look like now by clicking here. (John Boy pulled an Olsen twins and didn’t turn up.)